WHAT: Lester Horton Dance Award recipient For Festival or Series for 2006 & 2007 - Executive Producer Jamie Nichols will present 9 of the most cutting edge dance companies in Los Angeles one night only ! Promising to inspire and entertain all ages Saturday March 14, 2009 at 8:00PM at the historic Alex Theatre in Glendale, California.
Even in these harsh economic times, Nichols having made a commitment, continues the annual event for the dance community and the audience with top notch dance beautifully presented in a world class venue.
Last year, CELEBRATE DANCE 2008 was a smashing success with a SOLD OUT Alex Theatre and CELEBRATE DANCE has become a coveted event for dance companies, as multiple Lester Horton Dance Awards and nominations have been garnered from participating in the annual festival presented by "impresaria" Jamie Nichols.
CELEBRATE DANCE 2009 be no exception as Executive Producer Nichols raises her "barre" again for Los Angeles dance to be presented at its finest with 9 of the hottest Los Angeles dance companies featuring premiere works by:
* Bradley Michaud's outrageously daring! Jaw dropping! Method Contemporary Dance return again to CELEBRATE DANCE to raise the house in Michaud's premiere work "volenti non fit injuria"
* The international breakin' icon Jacob "Kujo" Lyons' inspiring hybrid Lux Aeterna Dance Company recipient of The Lester Horton Dance Award for Outstanding Performance Company make their 2nd visit to CELEBRATE DANCE with a stunning world premiere "Fiddling While Rome Burns"
* Nationally recognized Keith Johnson and Dancers offer a Los Angeles a premiere titled "The Presence Of Absence" a modern work that will capture the heart and the senses choreographed by master teacher and choreographer Keith Johnson
* Brash and bold with contemporary jazz RhetOracle Dance Company under the direction of Nathan Hodges will give Los Angeles world premiere for 15 dancers titled "Siren"
* With an exquisite all female cast featuring original music Deborah Rosen and Dancers bring a world premiere modern work "Giunone" (the Italian translation for Juno protectress of women in marriage and childbirth)
* Under the direction of former Joffrey Ballet dancer, Josie Walsh, named "One to Look For" by Dance Magazine, offers her eclectic urban company Josie Walsh's MyoKyo with an outrageous hybrid of: ballet, circus skills, hyper rock and deep spirit with "Internal Affairs" a premiere surely to intrigue with original music by Paul Rivera
* Critically acclaimed Artistic Director/Choreographer, Holly Johnston & Ledges & Bones Dance Project, named "One to Look For" by Dance Magazine and recent Lester Horton Dance Award winner, brings "Residue of Dawn/Sky Rising" in a solo danced by Johnston
* Critically acclaimed Viver Brasil Dance Company ("pyrotechnic physicality"… LA Times) will return to CELEBRATE DANCE with live music in a contemporary work that promises to energize the house with "In Motion, Em Movimento"
* Under the direction of choreographer Erin Holt California Contemporary Ballet offers her athletic duet "Quintessence" and mark the company's Los Angeles debut !
WHERE: Alex Theatre 216 North Brand Blvd., Glendale, CA. 91023
WHEN: Saturday, March 14th, 2009, 8:00pm
Discounts: children ($12), students, seniors and DRC Members.
Group rates for 15 or more @ 25% off are available by calling the Box Office
HOW: Alex Theatre Box office 818-243-2539 or http://www.alextheatre.org
Executive Producer Jamie Nichols was the Artistic Director and founder of the Pasadena based contemporary dance company Fast Feet for 23 years. Until retiring her dance company in 2003 she self-produced her work in festivals and venues throughout California. Critically acclaimed for the emotional intensity and eloquence of her dancing and choreography, she has been nominated in past years for several Lester Horton Dance Awards and was the recipient of four Lester Horton Dance Awards most recently the recipient of Lester Horton Dance Awards for Outstanding Achievement in Producing a Festival or Series for Celebrate Dance 2006 and 2007. Ms. Nichols is the marketing director, fundraiser, press contact and sole producer of Celebrate Dance. She has also produced modern dance icon Marion Scott's Spirit Dances 10 at Highways Performance Space, the fabulously successful 16th Annual Lester Horton Dance Awards, Co-Produced with Theater Bethune, Ray Bradbury's FROST and FIRE Co-Produced The Los Angeles Dance Invitational 2008 with a Tribute to Edward Viella.